Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Smile

"I smile, even though I hurt see I smile,
I know God is working so I smile,
Even though I’ve been here for a while
I smile, smile..
It’s so hard to look up when you’ve been down.
Sure would hate to see you give up now.
You look so much better when you smile, so smile.
Today’s a new day, but there is no sunshine.
Nothing but clouds, and it’s dark in my heart
and it feels like a cold night.
Today’s a new day, but tell me where are my blue skies,
where is the love and the joy that you promised me
tell me it’s – alright."
by Kirk Franklin

One of my mantras has been, "I can do anything for _____days, or
______weeks, or _____months." When we moved into a friend's camp house while we built our log cabin, I kept telling myself that I could do anything for 1 year. Then, that year turned into 1 year +. So, I kept adding the "I can do anything for one more month." When I was working on my masters degree, I kept telling myself that I could do course work for 3 months at a time. "I can do this work for 3 more months (1 semester)." There have been so many times in life that I have said, "I can do anything for a year (or however long the time line is)." I look at God and say, "Yes, I can do anything through Christ who gives me strength."

This time has been so different. God didn't give me any time lines. There have not been any lights at the end of the tunnel for me to say, "I can do anything, God, for 6 more months." One of the key verses in Positude is Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ because He gives me strength." (NCV) Today, I walked into my lawyers office and saw that scripture (boldly printed across the top of the wall facing my lawyer's desk) and was reminded that I can do anything through Christ no matter how many more days I have to go. Today though, I was given a vague time line. The end of February should mark the end of my marriage. "Lord, I can do this limbo for 1 more month."

I can work on that house in Shiner for 1 more weekend (if some miracle troops are sent in by the government that is). I can drive one more day to Victoria. I can get one more call from a creditor and not crack. I can have closure on my broken relationship in 1 more month.

I can become the spiritual leader in my household for one more week. I can parent my children on my own for one more week. I can take care of this house by myself for one more week. I can do...whatever else you need me to do for one more day. I can wake up one more day and smile. Even though it hurts me, I smile.

Isn't the entire premise of Positude about getting out of bed every day, putting on your smile, and saying to God, "Even though it hurts me, I smile. I am yours. Take my life, and use me. I am broken. I am hurt. I am sad. I am angry. I am a sinner. I am lost, but I am all yours. Today's a new day. There's no sunshine. Nothing but clouds, and it's dark in my heart. But I know You are working. I see you working, God. I know that I am yours.

So, I smile. God, I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. No matter how many days. I will see Your work, and I will smile. I will submit. I will serve. I will heal. I will recover in all things and in all ways. I will smile. I will have Your joy again."

"Today’s a new day, but tell me where are my blue skies,
where is the love and the joy that you promised me
tell me it’s – alright."

God does. He tells me it's ok. He tells me to just smile. He is in control. It's going to be ok. He sent His son to die for me. I am washed white as snow. I can leave my grief or anything else that creeps in to steal my joy  at the foot of the cross and just smile. I can rest in Him. He is my deliverer. He is my conqueror. He is my husband. He has me covered; so, I smile. He has my back; so, I smile.

Just smile. God is working. Are you submitting?

No comments:

Post a Comment