Friday, June 15, 2012

Leadership 101

Desiring to do whatever I am called to do to the absolute best of my ability is from God. Human nature leans towards the path of least resistance and least effort. When called to leadership, the responsibility of setting the standard along with the clear expectations can push your personal comfort level to the edge. Leading puts you right in the middle of warfare. Prepare to be shot at.

 Invasion into someone's work ethic can be much like taking pot shots in the dark, which is reckless, unless you are equipped on how to approach those conversations so that rather than taking shots you are building capacity and character in your staff. You are by the definition of leadership having to lead, coach, and often times push with critical conversations and clear directions. If everyone were a believer who practiced Christ's directives, then the burden of leadership would find relief in a Godly approach to discipline and coaching through the love of Christ.

 Jesus said, "If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles." Matthew 5

 Who does that any more? What teachers, leaders, students, or parents are eager to "Go the Extra Mile"? As an educator, when I find those rare jewels, I celebrate. I endeavor to walk alongside those individuals and encourage them to dream big and achieve the unimaginable. I am inspired that there are those who still desire to do more than just what is expected. I am excited when God places sheep in my care who respond to the Shepherd's voice with me.

 Treason

 When I elected to become a leader, submitted to God's call, I chose to put myself out into the world open to those shots that come from so many unexpected places. The most surprising direct hits come from those who are supposed to be in my troops. How sad is that in the world of education our most negative influences in the community and on campus are often our neighbor teachers who should be working side by side with us for the benefit of the children and encouragement of education in the community for a better society.

 "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." Romans 13:1

 Rebellion and Resentment

 Submission doesn't come easy. We all have to submit to someone. Unless you are truly an island of yourself somewhere out in the middle of the ocean then you have to submit. There are laws that govern everything, and I am thankful for that. The absence of law creates chaos. What educator would endorse the absence of law? I do not endorse the state assessment practices but I don't think anyone would hire me if I refused to have my school participate. I would be fired and rightfully so.

If our students rebelled in class, we would kick them out and demand that the top notch watch dog of an assistant principal take them out of the system immediately. How dare a child question the authority of a teacher in the classroom. Yet, how many teachers are the leaders of that very rebellion by the nature of their complaints, negativity and rebellion evident in the classroom and the community.

Our worst Public Relations come from our own ranks.Referencing the sleeping teacher behind the newspaper would be an easy shot at the old school "bad teacher". I am targeting the sage, politically covered teacher who refuses to follow state or local policies in regards to classroom expectations and rebells at the governing authorities hired in the district. That the curriculum and instruction model could inspire world war three boggles my mind.

 If the head football coach had a coordinator that refused to run the chosen offense, that coach would be gone within 24 hrs. Yet, I have teachers who have refused to run the selected research based classroom offense, defense, and sideline routines. Where is the authority to curb that rebellion? What resentment and warfare follows?

Resentment leads to more warfare. I may not agree with everything one my former superintendents asked me to do, but I did what I was paid and expected to do. I fulfilled the obligation of my contract for which I received money for. The heart that I put into loving my students is all God. The desire to serve teachers and support their love for students is all God along with the love for community. Pleasing my boss came through a willingness to submit to his authority regardless of my personal opinions. As long as he wasn't asking me to violate my beliefs, he was my authority.

 Grumbling

 Agreeing is irrelevant. If you have a leader who facilitates the opportunity for you to voice your opinion through either an open door policy or professional learning community activities, then use your voice appropriately. Be an adult and go talk to your leader. You may not completely agree and understand, but you will have "spoken your piece", like we say in Texas.  Then you have a choice, either that district is the place where God wants you or not.

If you want change, there are appropriate ways to garner that change. Follow the professional means to garner change. Most leaders are there for the kids and not to terrorize your life. Give them a chance. If you choose to submit to the authority and stay in the district, then be the best example of that submission that you can be. Do what you are called to do with a passion and fervor. Run the plays you are asked to and get a victory for the team.

"Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door." James 5: 9

 More importantly, if you call yourself a child of the light, behave like a child of the light. Bring the fruits of the spirit to everything you do including your calling. We are all passionate about our calling; that is not a license to rebel or turn from your values and beliefs as a Christian.Life is not easy in His Trenches. Be strong, be courageous, be gentle, and love. May the peace of our savior be with you today.

Leadership is tough. We are all called to lead in some way. Whether in your church, neighborhood, school, gym, grocery store, or wherever, you are leading by your example. Check yourself for alignment with God. Are you in His trenches or being a device for the enemy camp?

No comments:

Post a Comment